For over 100 years Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science has been educating physicians and furthering biomedical research. Beginning in 1912 the Chicago Medical School (CMS) was created as a medical school and hospital where employed men and women could study medicine at night. Under the direction of John J. Sheinin, MD, PhD, DSc, who served as Dean and President from 1932 to 1966, CMS successfully met the challenges arising from the restructuring of American medical education.
In 1967, the University of Health Sciences was established. It was comprised of the Chicago Medical School, the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, and the School of Related Health Sciences later renamed the College of Health Professions (CHP). In 1970 a baccalaureate program in Physical Therapy was offered. This Bachelor of Science degree was an upper division (Junior/Senior level) two-year program. In 1972 a baccalaureate degree in Medical Technology was offered. During the 1980's, the College of Health Professions added Master of Sciences degrees in Physical Therapy and Medical Technology, as well as a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. In the 1990's CHP increased to include Master of Science Programs in Physician Assistant Practice, Nutrition, Pathologists' Assistant, and an entry-level Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) degree. Since that time, the College of Health Professions has expanded to include masters- or doctorate-level programs in the following areas: Biomedical Sciences, Clinical Psychology, Health Administration, Health Professions Education, Interprofessional Healthcare Studies, Nurse Anesthesia, and a transition Doctor of Physical Therapy (tDPT).
In 1980, the University relocated to its current campus in North Chicago, Illinois adjacent to the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Center and Naval Station Great Lakes. That same year, the University was granted full accreditation by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The University was one of the first educational institutions in the country devoted to educating men and women for a broad range of professional careers in health care and research.
In 2001, The Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, founded in 1912, became part of the University. In 2002, in order to accommodate its growth, the University opened the Health Sciences Building. This state-of-the-art, 140,000 square-foot facility houses the Feet First Museum, laboratories, auditoriums, classrooms, and departmental offices. The University became a residential campus for the first time in its history when three student housing facilities opened in 2003.
On January 27, 2004 the University publicly announced its intent to change its name to Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, in honor of Rosalind Franklin, PhD, a pioneer in the field of DNA research. The name change became legal on March 1, 2004, at which time the School of Related Health Sciences also changed its name to College of Health Professions. In addition to the name change and the announcement of several new strategic initiatives, the University has been in the midst of profound physical growth.
A University-wide interprofessional committee was established in 2004 and charged with developing the "Interprofessional Model of Care" for the University as well as model educational experiences. The concept for the Interprofessional Healthcare Experience began as an outcome of the University's strategic plan which emphasized the importance of interprofessional collaborations. As a requirement for graduation, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science now requires all first year clinical students to complete the Interprofessional Teams and Culture in Health Care course in order to foster interprofessional collaborations between all programs.
The University's Basic Sciences Building is a 400,000 square-foot facility that houses a 52,000 square-foot Library and The Daniel Solomon, MD, and Mary Ann Solomon Learning Resource Center as well as administrative offices, classrooms, auditoriums, basic science departments, research and teaching laboratories, and dining areas. In 2006 the University opened a two-story, $10 million research expansion to the Basic Science Building to further its mission of scientific discovery.
In 2010, the University broke ground on the 23,000 square-foot Morningstar Interprofessional Education Center which offers additional classrooms, laboratories, clinical simulation spaces, and an amphitheater. It is the home of the College of Pharmacy, which welcomed its inaugural freshman class in fall 2011.
In 2013, The Rothstein Warden Centennial Learning Center was completed. This 73,000 square-foot, three-level addition to the University's campus facility features state-of-the-art learning spaces that foster collaboration and enhance interaction between students and faculty. These rooms and their configurations further the University's commitment to interprofessional education.
In 2014, the DeWitt C. Baldwin Institute for Interprofessional Education was added as well as the Student Welcome Center. Aligned with the University's central Mission and Vision, the DeWitt C. Baldwin Institute for Interprofessional Education is dedicated to advancing interprofessional education and practices in medical and health professions.
Dr. Rosalind Franklin, through her pioneering work in the science of life and through her unflagging perseverance, serves as a role model for our faculty and students, and represents the future of biomedical science and integrated health care. Her history mirrors our own in many profound ways, marked by dedication to discovery even in the midst of difficult times. Upon that history, her legacy guides the future of the University itself. To learn more about Dr. Rosalind Franklin and the University's dedication to her legacy, visit www.rosalindfranklin.edu/RosalindFranklin.
After more than 100 years of excellence in healthcare education, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science has only just begun to write its history. We hope you will join us in creating bold visions for an ambitious future.