Skip to Main Content

Common Questions

How do I become an international student at RFU?
The first step is to gain admission to Rosalind Franklin University

  • Upon being admitted Students in F-1 or J-1 visa classification who are enrolled in a program elsewhere in the U.S., must complete and submit an International student Transfer Form as part of a formal immigration transfer procedure.
  • Upon being admitted Students who are in the U.S. in a non-student visa classification will be given information and assistance on changing to an alternate visa classification, if necessary.

Canadian Applicants: Although ties between the U.S. and Canada are very close, please note that you are still considered to be foreign students and thus are subject to the same immigration requirements as other international students with the exception of applying for a visa.

How do I get my visa?
Once you confirm your admissions acceptance offer. The Office of Diversity and Inclusion will follow up with you on next steps, which will involve financial requirements and issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS 2019 so that you can apply for a student visa.

You will be required to present this document to the Consular Officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, along with your valid passport, a letter from the Office of Diversity and inclusion and all financial documentation such as; bank statement(s), letter of assistantship, research or scholarship award, and affidavit of support from a sponsor.

Canadian Applicants: You are exempt from visa requirements, but you are still required to present your Certificate of Eligibility at the U.S. point of entry so that you can be admitted in the appropriate visa classification.

  • Detailed instructions and information will be provided with your Certificate of Eligibility.

What if I receive a Certificate of Eligibility from more than one university?
You must report to the school whose Form I-20 or DS-2019 you used to enter the U.S. or you will violate your student status.

What financial aid is available to international students?
Although Federal aid for international students is not available, international students can independently research and apply for scholarships.

Will I be allowed to work while I'm a student?
Employment opportunities for international students are generally prohibited by U.S. immigration regulations.

  • You should not expect to support yourself by working, unless employment is part of a graduate assistantship.

Are there international student organizations at RFU?
View our comprehensive list of culturally focused organizations.

I'm already attending another school in the U.S. and have an I-20/DS-2019. Why do I need a new one?
Federal regulations state that you must attend the school listed on your Form I-20/DS-2019.

I have a DACA status, am I considered an international student?
Students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status (DACA) are not international Students

How do I transfer to RFU from another U.S. school?
First, contact the appropriate office for admission information. Once you are offered admission to RFU you will be issued a new Form I-20/DS-2019.

To facilitate the issuance of this document, you must provide the following to RFU:

  • A completed RFU International Student Transfer Form
  • Copy of Form I-20/DS-2019 from the previous school
  • Copy of passport page
  • Copy of most recent U.S. student visa
  • Copy of most recent I-94 record
  • Financial documentation to cover the cost of attendance at RFU for one academic year (bank letters or statements, official fellowship/scholarship/assistantship letters, affidavits of support, etc.)

You will receive the new Form I-20/DS-2019 by mail if you are leaving the U.S. prior to beginning your studies here. Otherwise, the Form I-20/DS-2019 may be picked up from RFU ahead of your program start date.

I am an international student interested in taking online classes at RFU. What paperwork do I need?
Online students who will not physically be in the States do not need an I-20 or visa documents from RFU to enroll in classes.