In this section
In this section
Continuing a Legacy of Discovery
Rosalind Franklin University (RFU) is named for a pioneer in scientific research. Today, we’re carrying her legacy forward by sustaining an innovative, collaborative environment for advanced healthcare education and research.
In 1952, British scientist and researcher Dr. Rosalind Franklin altered humankind’s understanding of biology. Her work in X-ray diffraction during the preceding years helped her capture “Photograph 51” of the “B” form of DNA while at King’s College in London. This discovery directly led to the development of the double-helix model of DNA that same year.
The faculty, staff and 1,900-plus students at RFU carry on Dr. Franklin’s legacy of discovery every single day. We do that through a combination of:
- Rigorous academics, with interprofessionalism as a foundation
- Advancements in health, wellness and medicine at our Innovation and Research Park
- Groundbreaking approaches to community service
RFU provides a place where students, faculty, practitioners, researchers and entrepreneurs converge around a common goal: improve the quality and delivery of health and wellness for all. And we offer a wealth of student support services to ensure we cultivate an inclusive campus.
By embodying our namesake’s traits of inquiry, diligence and academic excellence, we’re continuing to shape the future of health care. Come to RFU and be a part of it!
Six Unique Schools, One Great Campus
Our beautiful 97-acre campus is located in North Chicago, Illinois, approximately 35 miles north of downtown Chicago. We offer graduate-level health degrees through our six specialized schools:
- Chicago Medical School
- College of Health Professions
- College of Nursing
- College of Pharmacy
- Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine
- School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
RFU by the Numbers
Enrollment for 2022-2023
|761||Chicago Medical School|
|621||College of Health Professions|
|4||College of Nursing|
|172||College of Pharmacy|
|354||Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine|
|28||School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies|
|1,940||RFU Total Enrollment|
Degrees Conferred in 2022
|193||Master of Science|
|205||Doctor of Medicine|
|80||Doctor of Podiatric Medicine|
|52||Doctor of Physical Therapy|
|14||Doctor of Philosophy|
|54||Doctor of Pharmacy|
|35||Doctor of Nursing Practice: Nurse Anesthesia|
Faculty & Staff
|510||Administration and staff|
Data as of November 2021
|8,691||Chicago Medical School (est. 1912)|
|6,838||College of Health Professions (est. 1970)|
|482||College of Pharmacy (est. 2011)|
|5,474||Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine (est. 1912)|
|728||School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (est. 1968)|
During the 2021-22 academic year, a total of $8.1 million in gift assistance (internal and external scholarships and tuition waivers) was awarded to over 1,200 students.
The RFU Difference
- Academic Seal of Quality: 100% of all clinical programs and the university have been granted the maximum years of accreditation possible.
- 92% of all students report that they would re-enroll at RFU if they had to do it all over again and 95% of employees feel RFU is a good place to work.
- Ground-breaking Research in 12 major areas is being conducted by RFU scientists. As a university we are leading and shaping the future of health care, not just "keeping up."
- 440+ telehealth visits for ICC patients in 2022. Patients received primary care, behavioral health, podiatric medicine, physical therapy and laboratory services.
- 6 Simulation Labs on RFU's campus create a virtual health system. Interprofessional teams of RFU students practice more than 40,000 hours of simulation each year, improving their procedural, problem-solving, safety and communication skills before they work with human patients.
- 100+ Student Clubs and Organizations are registered through our campus life office. Getting involved offers opportunities to have fun, get exercise, give back to the community, get hands-on practice, gain leadership experience and build your professional network.
- 43 U.S. Patents Held. 28 U.S. Patents issued in the past 7 years - an additional 17 patents pending. Our discovery work is nationally and internationally recognized in several critical areas, from Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases to genetic diseases, cancer, behavioral disorders and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Service Learning is part of an RFU education. RFU students have many opportunities to learn beyond the classroom while helping others, giving them practical experience serving community members as part of an interprofessional team.
To improve the wellness of all people through innovative, interprofessional education of health and biomedical professionals and the discovery and implementation of knowledge.
To lead the nation in developing interprofessional healthcare education and biomedical discovery to advance an equitable, healthy society.
Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Justice, Respect and Scholarship.
- Collaboration: We actively engage in interprofessional and respectful teamwork toward shared goals.
- Excellence: We continuously embody and elevate world-class scientific research, education, and clinical care.
- Innovation: We cultivate discovery and adapt our thinking to solve emerging problems and critical issues.
- Integrity: We act with courage, honor and accountability demonstrating the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Justice: We commit that diversity, equity, and inclusion are woven into all aspects of our work.
- Respect: We treat those we serve and those with whom we work with the highest civility and dignity.
- Scholarship: We cultivate an environment where the creation, dissemination, and implementation of knowledge and continuous learning are embraced by our community.