Skip to Main Content

Scholl College is the recognized leader in advancing podiatric medical education to meet the demands of the 21st Century. As part of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS), the College offers a fully accredited, four-year professional program leading to the Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) degree. Founded in 1912, Scholl College is a national resource whose graduates number in the thousands. Scholl College became part of RFUMS in 2001.

With clinics located adjacent to the University’s campus, as well as on the campus of a local hospital, Scholl College is recognized for its exceptional clinical education. A well-rounded medical curriculum designed by renowned faculty exposes students to emerging technologies and prepares them to serve in the interprofessional and multidisciplinary medical care delivery system. The College’s curriculum mirrors the allopathic medical school model with introduction to clinical sciences beginning in the first year. Scholl College students participate in multiple rotations, including ER, internal medicine, surgery, and podiatric medicine & surgery at the nationally renowned John H. Stroger, Jr., Hospital of Cook County and other leading Chicago teaching hospitals. The Clinics at Rosalind Franklin University were renovated and the Scholl Clinics and associated faculty and personnel were relocated to the North Chicago campus in 2004.

Scholl College is also a leader in innovative, cutting-edge research through its Center for Lower Extremity Ambulatory Research (CLEAR), which was established in 2004. Since then, it has rapidly become one of the most internationally recognized units of its kind in the world, as evidenced not only by the number of awards and speaking invitations received, but also by the number and diversity of publications in top tier journals; abstract presentations; study section, journal and meeting referee activities; and funding from federal agencies and others. Scholl College offers a variety of research opportunities for students, including the DPM/PhD program, which continues to produce exceptional clinicians and scientists.

Additionally, Scholl College continues its strong tradition of serving the needs of the community. In addition to being a major provider of foot and ankle care for the citizens of Lake County, Illinois, the University and the College have developed a working relationship with its community partners to provide care to those in need, a Scholl legacy since 1912. Some highlights of the College’s efforts and impact through the years include the award-winning Care for the Homeless Program and the 1988 launch of the “Let Someone Fill Your Shoes” campaign, which provided more than 200,000 pairs of shoes throughout the Chicagoland area. The annual Dance for Diabetes, a Scholl College tradition since 1988, provides support for the university’s Interprofessional Community Clinic, which serves the local community. In addition, volunteers from the College’s faculty and student body participate in a wide range of other community service programs throughout the year.

Trend setting is not new for Scholl College and its rich history remains a source of pride. Opened in 1912 as the Illinois College of Chiropody and Orthopedics, the College has evolved through multiple name and location changes and continues to graduate generations of podiatric physicians who impact the profession in a multitude of ways. Scholl graduates continue, among other things, the proud tradition of serving in key leadership roles at both the state and national levels; engage in scholarly activity and research that continues to advance the profession; contribute to educating new and future podiatric physicians through clerkship and residency training; and provide high quality care and service to their local communities.

In 1981, the College was renamed from the Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine (ICPM) to the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine to honor its founder, the late Dr. Scholl. Since its start, the College has been an important part of Chicago’s medical landscape. The College merged with Rosalind Franklin University (then Finch University of Health Sciences) in August of 2001.

Since its early beginnings in a converted one-floor factory on Chicago’s N. Clark Street, to its move to a renovated YWCA on Dearborn Street, to its relocation to North Chicago to merge with RFUMS, the College continues to advance the profession of podiatric medicine. With state-of-the-art facilities available to today’s students and new, innovative approaches to clinical training, the College prepares students for podiatric practice in a patient-centered, collaborative care environment. Excellence remains the hallmark of the timeless education provided by Scholl College.

Feet First: The Scholl Story

Scholl College is home to a one-of-a-kind exhibit dedicated to Dr. William Mathias Scholl and the human foot. The exhibit is housed on our campus in North Chicago, and tells the story of Dr. Scholl and his work using historical photos and artifacts. 

Key artifacts include an oversized model of the human foot, plaster casts of feet, a fluoroscope commonly used to aid in shoe fitting found in shoe stores until the 1950s, and a spinning Zoetrope, a nineteenth-century forerunner of the motion picture projector, used to illustrate the process of walking.