In this section
Mission & Vision
To improve the wellness of all people through innovative, interprofessional education of health and biomedical professionals and the discovery and implementation of knowledge.
To lead the nation in developing interprofessional healthcare education and biomedical discovery to advance an equitable, healthy society.
Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Justice, Respect and Scholarship.
Collaboration: We actively engage in interprofessional and respectful teamwork toward shared goals.
Example Behaviors of Collaboration:
- Actively seek collegial interactions with internal and external stakeholders to achieve university goals
- Build relationships based on trust and shared accountability
- Solicit insights from others about issues and opportunities before making decisions
- Help others succeed through clear expectations and candid feedback
- Proactively look for ways to help others achieve their professional goals
Excellence: We continuously embody and elevate world-class scientific research, education, and clinical care.
Example Behaviors of Excellence:
- Strive to provide outstanding service to those we serve
- Leverage evidence to identify opportunities for improvement and growth
- Actively seek opportunities to learn, adapt and evolve with a “can-do” attitude
- Work through challenging circumstances with determination
- Create a culture of adapting and being open to change
Innovation: We cultivate discovery and adapt our thinking to solve emerging problems and critical issues.
Example Behaviors of Innovation:
- Create a safe space for taking risks or challenging existing processes
- Embrace new ways of thinking from inside and outside our University community
- Demonstrate courage and resilience to try, fail, and try again
- Commitment to growth and lifelong learning
- Pursuit of a research agenda that challenges traditional theories and creates new knowledge
Integrity: We act with courage, honor and accountability demonstrating the highest ethical and moral standards.
Example Behaviors of Integrity:
- Demonstrate accountability in our actions and follow through with our commitments, asking for help when needed
- Hold ourselves to the highest ethical and moral standards
- Be open, honest and transparent in our actions
- Show courage, compassion and empathy
Justice: We commit that diversity, equity, and inclusion are woven into all aspects of our work.
Example Behaviors of Justice:
- Address situations where we see discrimination or inappropriate exclusion of others
- Enact and adhere to policies, processes and practices that support a culture of equitable treatment and outcomes
- Contribute to an environment where students, faculty and staff are open-minded, non-judgmental and courteous to all
- Encourage opportunities to include and engage others who have skills, interests or experiences that are different from our own
- Treat people with dignity and respect inclusive of their culture, religion, age, race, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability
Respect: We treat those we serve and those with whom we work with the highest civility and dignity.
Example Behaviors of Respect:
- Treat self and others with empathy, courtesy and kindness
- Ask questions and listen to others with the intent to understand their perspectives
- Engage in healthy dialogue even when we disagree, and apologize when we’ve done harm
- Encourage others by showing that we care about their ideas, contributions and success
Scholarship: We cultivate an environment where the creation, dissemination, and implementation of knowledge and continuous learning are embraced by our community.
Example Behaviors of Scholarship:
- Engage in research, dissemination and adoption of best practices
- Promote a lifelong commitment to learning and discovery
- Conduct and present research that advances the university’s mission and vision
- Nurture a culture that supports academic freedom
- Develop faculty and students as scholars