The student run and student lead International Health Interest Group (IHIG)
a national student group, has over 100 students involved from Chicago Medical School, Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, the Physician Assistant Department, the Physical Therapy Department and the College of Pharmacy. This interprofessional group supports and facilitates global health student interest, experiences, collaboration with other student groups and fund raising.
International Health Interest Group (IHIG)
was started by a group of CMS students in 1999, but is open to any student at RFUMS.
Our mission is to bring together students interested in:
- Learning about and discussing international health issues
- Learning more about opportunities for clinical experiences in foreign countries, both
during and after their studies.
• Listen to and interact with other students and faculty members who have done work in other
• Learn more about international health organizations
• Meet other students with similar interests in international health issues
• Meet other students planning to do clinical work in foreign countries
• Partner with other organizations that want to bring awareness to international health issues
The CMS American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
has a global health committee which supports and facilitates medical student global health endeavors and interest, and links students to national resources for international experiences
The American Medical Student Association is committed to improving health care and
healthcare delivery to all people; promoting active improvement in medical education; involving
its members in the social, moral and ethical obligations of the profession of medicine; assisting
in the improvement and understanding of world health problems; contributing to the welfare of
medical students, premedical students, interns, residents and post-MD/DO trainees; and
advancing the profession of medicine.
AMSA knows that "it takes more than medical school to make a physician." We are committed to supplying our fellow future physicians with resources, education, and opportunities to make them strong leaders and activists. We have multiple Action Committees that serve interests such as Global Health, Health Policy, Gender & Sexuality, Medical Professionalism, Race, Ethnicity, & Culture in Health, and Environmental Health. We are also working to establish a medical foreign exchange program with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations.
Officer contact information: