NEU 700 Junior Clerkship
This four-week required clerkship prepares students to recognize and begin the management of patients with neurologic conditions, to demonstrate the ability to perform a complete and reliable neurologic history and examination, and to continue their progress toward achieving the School’s educational competencies. The student is provided with practical experience at the bedside, clinics, and teaching rounds, as well as varied learning environments.
The clerkship begins with a half-day orientation and includes an introduction to neuro-radiology, neurological disorders review, and a neurologic exam practicum. On the final day of the four-week rotation, students will complete their clerkship by taking the NBME Clinical Neurology Subject Examination to successfully complete their neurology clerkship.
Students in this clerkship receive their clinical instruction at Advocate Christ Medical Center, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Advocate Condell Hospital, Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, and the James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center (formerly the North Chicago Veterans Affairs Medical Center). Students interact with patients with a wide variety of neurological conditions on both outpatient and inpatient services under the preceptorship of neurology attendings and residents.
Students’ participation in small and large group discussions, didactic presentations, workshops, and conferences is required, facilitated, and supervised by preceptors at specific training sites. These activities ensure continued learning and application of the principles and practice of neuroscience and clinical neurology, and ensure that students’ learning experience in neurology is an integral contribution to progress in becoming competent physicians.
RFUMS Department Staff
- Anderson, Nils, M.D., MHA,
- Welch, K. Michael, MB, ChB, FRCP
- Walker, Christine, Clerkship Coordinator/Administrative Assistant
Affiliate Site Directors
- Anderson, Nils, M.D., MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor, Clerkship Director, Site Director, FHCC
- Dorman, James, M.D., Lecturer, Site Clerkship Director, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Egel, Robert T., M.D., Lecturer, Site Clerkship Director, Advocate Christ Medical Center
- Jost, Mary Beth, M.D., Lecturer, Site Clerkship Director, Hines VAMC
- Mikesell, Timothy, D.O., Lecturer, Site Clerkship Director, Lutheran General Hospital
Affiliate Site Faculty
- Allen, Neil, M.D., FACP, FAAN, Clinical Professor, Private Practice
- Bartt, Russell E., M.D., Lecturer, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Borsody, Mark, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor
- Brandes, Jan L., M.D., Associate Professor, Private Practice
- Dang, Hien, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor, Lovell Federal Health Care Facility
- Fisher, Morris, M.D., Lecturer, Chair of Neurology, Hines VAMC
- Hassan, Tariq I., M.D., Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology, Chief of Staff, Lovell Federal Health Care Facility
- Kelly, Michael A., M.D., Lecturer, Chair of Neurology, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Kessler, Elizabeth S., M.D., Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology, Affiliate (Secondary)
- Pierre-Louis, Serge, M.D., MPH, Lecturer, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Shapiro, Rita A., DO, FAAN, FACP, Associate Professor, Lovell Federal Health Care Facility
- Shulman, Semyon, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor, Acting Chair of Neurology, Lovell Federal Health Care Facility
- Singleton, Lafayette, M.D., Assistant Professor (Affiliate), John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Slavick, Hilliard, M.D., Clinical Associate Professor, Private Practice
- Vogel, Jonathan, M.D., Clinical Instructor, Private Practice
- Weisz, Reuben R., M.D., Clinical Professor, Private Practice
- Wichter, Melvin, D., M.D., Lecturer, Chair of Neurology, Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center