Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center
in south suburban Oak Lawn, IL, has 847 beds and more than 42,000 patient visits per year. Beginning in the 2000-2001 academic year, this hospital became the site of clinical training in emergency medicine, family medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, pediatrics, neurology, and surgery.
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital is a 609-bed teaching, research and tertiary care hospital, Level I trauma center, and one of the largest hospitals in the Chicago area. It also is home to Advocate Lutheran General Children's Hospital , one of the most comprehensive providers of pediatric care in the state. In addition, Lutheran General is rated among the top 50 hospitals in the U.S. for its medical excellence and advanced treatment capabilities in cardiovascular services, cancer care, orthopedics, neurology and neurosurgery, geriatrics, ear/nose/throat disorders, digestive disorders, rheumatology and respiratory disorders. The hospitals are located at 1775 W. Dempster Street in Park Ridge, Illinois.
Edward Hines Veterans Affairs Medical Center is located in Maywood, a western suburb of Chicago. It is a 1,368 bed teaching hospital. The internal medicine unit has 300 beds, admits about 7,500 patients a year and handles 57,000 outpatient visits. There are tertiary care clinical programs in many of the internal medicine subspecialties. The hospital is the site of CMS undergraduate and graduate training programs in internal medicine.
James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center (FHCC), formerly North Chicago Veterans Affairs Medical Center (NCVAMC), is adjacent to the The Chicago Medical School. Its 54 buildings are located on a 233 acre tract, 40 miles north of Chicago. The facilities include a nursing home with an active geriatrics teaching and research program. A ninety million dollar construction and renovation project has completely updated the VA patient care areas and provided a new ambulatory care and diagnostic facility. The close proximity of the FHCC and RFUMS has allowed for integration of many clinical programs, enhancing the educational environment for undergraduate and graduate medical education. Training is provided in internal medicine, psychiatry, neurology, and diagnostic radiology.
John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, with 1,418 beds and 100 bassinets, is one of the largest teaching hospitals in the United States. Each year, approximately 47,000 patients are admitted to the hospital and more than 340,000 patients are treated in the hospital's outpatient clinics. This facility is a site for undergraduate and graduate programs in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, emergency medicine, obstetrics, and neurology.
RFUMS Department Staff
- Anderson, Nils, M.D., MHA,
- Welch, K. Michael, MB, ChB, FRCP
- Walker, Christine, Clerkship Coordinator/Administrative Assistant
Affiliate Site Directors
- Anderson, Nils, M.D., MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor, Clerkship Director, Site Director, FHCC
- Dorman, James, M.D., Lecturer, Site Clerkship Director, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Egel, Robert T., M.D., Lecturer, Site Clerkship Director, Advocate Christ Medical Center
- Jost, Mary Beth, M.D., Lecturer, Site Clerkship Director, Hines VAMC
- Mikesell, Timothy, D.O., Lecturer, Site Clerkship Director, Lutheran General Hospital
Affiliate Site Faculty
- Allen, Neil, M.D., FACP, FAAN, Clinical Professor, Private Practice
- Bartt, Russell E., M.D., Lecturer, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Borsody, Mark, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor
- Brandes, Jan L., M.D., Associate Professor, Private Practice
- Dang, Hien, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor, Lovell Federal Health Care Facility
- Fisher, Morris, M.D., Lecturer, Chair of Neurology, Hines VAMC
- Hassan, Tariq I., M.D., Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology, Chief of Staff, Lovell Federal Health Care Facility
- Kelly, Michael A., M.D., Lecturer, Chair of Neurology, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Kessler, Elizabeth S., M.D., Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology, Affiliate (Secondary)
- Pierre-Louis, Serge, M.D., MPH, Lecturer, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Shapiro, Rita A., DO, FAAN, FACP, Associate Professor, Lovell Federal Health Care Facility
- Shulman, Semyon, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor, Acting Chair of Neurology, Lovell Federal Health Care Facility
- Singleton, Lafayette, M.D., Assistant Professor (Affiliate), John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Slavick, Hilliard, M.D., Clinical Associate Professor, Private Practice
- Vogel, Jonathan, M.D., Clinical Instructor, Private Practice
- Weisz, Reuben R., M.D., Clinical Professor, Private Practice
- Wichter, Melvin, D., M.D., Lecturer, Chair of Neurology, Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center