In this section
Laura Friedman, PT, DPT, CCS
Dr. Friedman serves as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy. She is a Board-Certified Clinical Specialist in Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy, with cardiovascular and pulmonary being the major content area in her teaching. She also teaches in Clinical Skills I. Her current clinical research emphasis is on the use of ECMO in individuals awaiting lung transplant as well as optimizing the functional status of individuals undergoing cardiac surgery. She is an Acute Care Advanced Practice Physical Therapist at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, IL. She has over 20 years of critical care experience and specializes in the care of individuals pre and post heart and lung transplantation.
- Use of ECMO in patients awaiting lung transplant
- Physical therapy role in optimizing functional outcomes after cardiac surgery
- Frailty in per-lung transplant population
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Capozza S, Fiore A, Friedman L, Skrzat J. The Silent Sequela: Addressing Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Toxicities in the Oncology Population. Educational Session at American Physical Therapy Association; Combined Sections Meeting. San Diego, CA; February 2023.
- Coakley K, Friedman L, McLoughlin K, Wozinak A, Hutchison P. Acute occupational and physical therapy for patients with COVID-19: A retrospective cohort study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2022; 000:1-7.
- Friedman L, Scherer S. The transplant patient. In: Frownfelter D, Dean E, eds. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy: Evidence to Practice. 6th ed. St, Louis, MO: Mosby, Inc.; 2022; In press.
- Friedman L, Miller M. Cystic fibrosis. In: Frey A, Griech S, Skrzat J, eds. Case Studies Across the Continuum: A Physical Therapist’s Perspective. 1st ed. In press.
- Baker-Rush M, Friedman L, Ziemowit M. Interprofessional Experiential Educational Programming: PA and DPT Students Self Reports of Growth. Lightning Talk. NEXUS Summit 2020; National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education. Virtual; October 2020.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, 2020
Rosalind Franklin University
North Chicago, IL
- Master of Science of Physical Therapy, 2001
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) Certified Clinical Specialist in Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy
Professional Society Membership
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- APTA Academy of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy
- APTA Academy of Acute Care
- APTA Academy of Education
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Specialty Council (part of ABPTS)
- Specialization Academy of Content Experts (Item Writer for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Clinical Specialist Exam)