In this section
Marc S. Abel, PhD
Marc S. Abel, PhD joined the College of Pharmacy on July 1, 2009. Dr. Abel has 18 years experience in curriculum development and reform and seven years in Interprofessional education. Dr. Abel was the Inaugural Director of the Educational Technology Office (ET) and brought the first University-wide Learning Management System to the University. He has Bachelors and PhD degrees and began his career in the pharmaceutical industry, progressing from Research Scientist to Team Leader in the American Cyanamid Company (Lederle Laboratories). In 1990, he joined RFUMS and carried out basic science research for many years, publishing extensively through grant funding by NIH. He has also directed two major courses in CMS and served extensively on University-wide committees. He served as Chair of the Educational Affairs Committee in CMS and guided the integration of the curriculum. He is a member of several professional societies, including the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP).
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
- Medical Literature Evaluation
- Current Topics in Pharmacy
Dr. Abel conducted research on the neurobiology of GABAA and GABAB receptors for many years. Among other related topics, he was funded by NIH to explore the effect of cocaine-induced kindled seizures on the GABA receptor system. Recently, his research emphasis has shifted to the educational realm. He has published and/or presented at professional meetings on the topics of interprofessional education and the use of a diagnostic reminder system for clinical reasoning. He is currently investigating team interactions in an educational setting and student attitudes toward the ethics of human subjects in research.
- The Influence Of A Clinical Decision Support System On Diagnostic Reasoning During Simulated Encounters. J. Carlson, B. Eulenberg, T. Anzur, D. Bridges, M. Abel, and J. Tomkowiak. Simulation in Healthcare, 5(3): 185-186, 2010.
- The Impact of a Diagnostic Reminder System on Student Clinical Reasoning During Simulated Case Studies. J. Carlson, M. Abel, D. Bridges, J. Tomkowiak, Simulation in Healthcare 5(5), 2010.
- Service Learning in Interprofessional Education: A Case Study. D.R. Bridges, M.S. Abel, J. Carlson, J. Tomkowiak. Journal of Physical Therapy Education 24(1):44-50, 2010.
- Noradrenergic antagonism of the P13 and N40 components of the rat auditory evoked potential. S.K. Keedy, M. Marlow-O’conner, B. Beenken, J. Dorflinger, M. Abel, and R.J. Erwin. Psychopharmacology 190(1):117-125, 2007.
- Science and Music; Music and Science; The Science of Music; The Music of Science Héctor Rasgado-Flores, Marc S. Abel, Maria Cristina Galvez Correa, Cecilia Peña-Rasgado and Victor Rasgado. The Physiologist Vol. 49, No. 1, 2006.
- Up-regulation of GABAB Receptor mRNA and Protein in the Hippocampus of Cocaine- and Lidocaine-Kindled Rats. J. Li, M.S. Dassow and M.S. Abel. Neuroscience. 118(2):451-62, 2003.
- GABAB Receptor Gene Expression is not Altered in Cocaine-Sensitized Rats. J. Li, A.B. Olinger, M. S. Dassow, M.S. Abel, J. Neurosci Res. 68:241-247, 2002.
- GABA-transaminase antisense oligonucleotide modulates cocaine- and pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures in mice. M.S. Abel and N. Kohli. Met. Brain Dis. 14(4):253-263, 1999.
- Curricular Approaches to Interprofessional Healthcare Education. Marc S. Abel. In: Interprofessional Health Professions Education. W. Rheault, J. Stoecker, S. Tappert, K. Michael Welch, Eds. In preparation. 2010 (2011).
- Basic Science Aspects Of The Headaches: Anatomy Of Muscles, Tendons, Joints, Blood Vessels, And Meninges. Lars Edvinsson And Marc Abel. In: The Headaches, Second Edition. Jes Olesen, Peter J., Goadsby, Nabih M. Ramadan, PeerTfelt-Hansen, K. Michael A. Welch, Eds. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia. 2005.