Many excellent research opportunities tailored for medical students, exist across the country in medical schools and hospitals. These include NIH, HHMI, Vanderbilt, Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson, etc. Most of these provide a stipend in the form of a scholarship or fellowship. The American Association of Medical Centers (AAMC) has an efficient website to find one fitting a particular student (see links below). Deadlines for application are usually in December or January, so act early.
AAMC – Careers in Medicine
Getting experience is vital to choosing a specialty that will fit best for you. Beyond required clerkships and elective rotations, research experiences or other clinical opportunities can be a valuable source of specialty information. Learn about fellowships, internships, summer programs, scholarships, and grants currently available in the United States and abroad.
The summer between your first and second year is a valuable time to get experience to help you choose a specialty or bolster your research experience in a specialty you're already considering. Learn about research fellowships, clinical preceptorships, and internships available during summer months.
Many research programs are available to students who'd like a longer, more intensive experience than a summer program can offer. Review these year-round opportunities and grants.
Past List of Off Site Research Opportunities: for Information Only
Examples of some programs from previous years are listed below:
- HHMI DMD & NIH Diabetes Research Programs
- NIH Diabetes - Deadline: Jan
- Diabetes & Endocrinology-Vanderbilt - Deadline: Feb
- Oncology-Children's Hospital Los Angeles- Deadline: Jan
- MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston TX - Deadline: Jan
- CUPID Summer Fellowship-Johns Hopkins - Deadline: Jan
- Injury Research Program-Ohio State- Deadline: Feb
- Multiple Sclerosis-Washington Univ - Deadline: Feb
- Pharmacology Program-PhRMA Foundation - Deadline:
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center-NY- Deadline: Jan
- American Brain Tumor Association - Deadline: March
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
(NASPGHAN) - Deadline: March