Skip to Main Content

Common Questions

Where is the Registrar’s Office located?

The Registrar’s Office is located in the Health Sciences Building, Room L.687. Our address is: Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL 60064. Our email address is: Our office hours are M-F 8:30-4:30.

Where can I find my RFU ID number?

You can find your RFU Student ID under your User Profile in Student Self Service.

  • Log-in to Student Self Service
  • Click the User Profile tab on the top right side of the screen under your username
  • You will be able to locate your RFU ID Number under your name

When is the first day of the Quarter?

The start and end dates of the Quarters can be found on the Academic Calendar.

How can I find the Academic Catalog?

2020 - 2021 Academic Catalog 

What is Student Self Service?

Student Self Service is an interactive web application where students can plan and register for courses. Student Self Service is accessible 24/7 and will allow you to:

  • View/update/confirm your address, phone number, and emergency contact Information
  • Register for courses
  • View your progress of completion towards the degree or certificate requirements (degree audit)
  • View your grades
  • View the course catalog and course offerings
  • Communicate with your adviser

View Student Self Service Tutorial.

When can I register for courses?

Registration opens 49 days prior to the start of the Quarter. The Registrar’s Office will notify students by email with instructions when Registration is open.

How do I register for courses?

You will register for courses through Student Self Service. Be sure you have contacted your academic advisor before you register. You will be expected to register every quarter and maintain continuous enrollment.

Before you can register, you must update or confirm your current address, phone number, and emergency contact information through Student Self Service.

How do I update my phone number, address and emergency contact information?

To update your address on file, and your emergency contact information, please log into Student Self Service. Once logged in, click on your username on the right corner of the page. Under "User Profile", you will be able to update your address and phone number. Under "Emergency Information", you will be able add your emergency contact(s) there.

We will immediately begin sending all mail to the most recent address you have listed with the university. It is recommended that you do not update your address until you are living at your new address and can receive mail there.

Please note that the university keeps only a single address at a time as current for each student for all purposes and we cannot designate different addresses for different purposes. Please be sure to update this information whenever there is a change.

Is there a minimum number of courses I will have to enroll in each quarter?

You do not have to enroll in a minimum number of courses each quarter, but you must be enrolled in a course each term to maintain continuous enrollment.

Who is my academic advisor?

You can find who your academic advisor is in Student Self Service under the path Academics > Student Planning > Plan & Schedule > Advising.

What is Brightspace/D2L?

Brightspace/D2L is a learning management system used for course work. You can find the app by logging in to the HelixNet Access page. Enter your HelixNet username and password.

My courses are registered, but I do not see them in Brightspace/D2L

Courses do not open until the first day of the quarter. However, some instructors will open their classes the weekend before the quarter starts.

How do I drop a course?

Students may drop a course during the add/drop period, which is the first week of the quarter. If you wish to drop a course, the first thing you should do is contact the course instructor and the department informing them of your intentions. Upon their approval you must complete a request to Drop a Course. This form will require the instructor’s signature.

How can I apply for a deferment?

You may be eligible to defer payment on prior education loans while you are enrolled at least half-time as a student at RFU. You must contact your lender or loan servicer to determine if you qualify for a student deferment based on your enrollment. Deferment will not take effect until after you have matriculated on the first day of school, as your status as an enrolled student begins and can be verified at that point.

The Registrar's Office updates enrollment information for all students to the National Student Loan Clearinghouse once a month. New students should allow several weeks for your lender or loan servicer to receive notification of your new enrollment from the Clearinghouse.

Students should be aware of a delay with some loan servicers, but all deferments should be retroactively applied back to the start of term date once they have verified information. New students are advised to be patient as this matter usually resolves itself.

Most lenders and loan servicers update their information from the Clearinghouse automatically. However, you may need to contact your lender or loan servicer to request a deferment or to notify them that we use the Clearinghouse and that they should check for enrollment information to appear there within the first few weeks of school.

If a month has passed and there is an issue such as the lender or loan servicer is unable to see your information on the Clearinghouse or they need more information, please contact the Registrar's Office who will see if more information is required and will work to resolve the issue.

Where do I find my class schedule and book lists?

You will see your class schedule and a book list either posted on the Orientation website or you will receive them from your program at Orientation. You will also learn about elective courses when you get here during your program time at Orientation.

How do I request a letter of enrollment verification? 

An enrollment verification letter can be requested via our document request process in partnership with the National Student Clearinghouse, the instructions for which can be found on InSite. Please note that before you have matriculated on the first day of school, we can only verify admission, not enrollment, as your official status as a student does not begin until you matriculate.

How do I request an official transcript?

The Registrar's Office has now partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse for all transcript and other academic record requests. Documents can now be ordered hard-copy or electronic. Transcripts will not be released until after you have matriculated on the first day of school when your status as an enrolled student begins, though we may be able to verify admission by a letter before that time. Your transcript will show all courses registered. Former students can find instructions for document ordering using the Clearinghouse here. Incoming or current students can find similar instructions on InSite here.

What is FERPA? 

FERPA is the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act.  Please read the FERPA Policy for information pertaining to privacy laws and our policy regarding your student information and academic record.

How do I change my name?

Official name changes can be made by filling out the Name Change Form. Please drop off or mail the completed form as well as a copy of your new social security card and the court documentation: marriage license, a court issued name change or divorce decree to the Registrar’s Office, Room L.687.

Veteran Benefits

Are you a Veteran or eligible for Veteran benefits?

To be certified for veterans and dependent education benefits, a student must be admitted to the university and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program. Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits are determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

All veteran students who wish to receive educational benefits must complete a Veteran’s Administration Benefits Application Form. Use the page to apply for VA benefits.

Next Steps:

Award Letter

All applicants will receive an award letter or Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, (approximately in 8 to 10 weeks) which will give you valuable information such as your remaining entitlement, the current school year dates and your monthly rate of disbursement.

Request for VA Benefits

Please send or email the Certificate of Eligibility and the Request for VA Benefits form to The VA certifying Official will certify a student’s enrollment to the VA for each quarter. You are required to fill out the Request for Veteran's Benefits quarterly. Please allow the VA 6-8 weeks to process your funds.

For more information, please visit:

The Registrar’s Office is here to help. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at, or stop by to see us.