About the Health Professions Education (HPE) Program
- Health Professions Education offers three programs
- Master of Science in Health Professions Education (45 quarter hours) Complete in less than two years, full-time
- Certificate in Health Professions Education (12 quarter hours) Complete in less than 1 year, part-time
- Certificate in Online Instruction (12 quarter hours) Complete in 1 year, part-time
- HPE is design to provide students with practical skills and knowledge to lead training and education efforts at a healthcare or educational institution.
- Students are encouraged to bring real world experiences and projects into the classroom to make classroom activities more meaningful.
- Classes are small so students receive individualized attention and are able to build relationships with program faculty.
At the end of the Master of Science in Health Professions Education, you will be able to:
- Integrate Learning style information and material presentation methods to facilitate student learning of health professions subject matter
- Design curricula based on assessment of student learning needs and professional accreditation requirements
- Evaluate information regarding student performance and program outcomes assessment
- Integrate educational leadership and evidence-based education principles to become a leader in the health professions educational environment
DePaul RN to MS Nursing Students CLICK HERE to view specialty certificate course descriptions for Health Administration and Health Professions Education
Certificate in Online Instruction
The Master Certificate in Online Teaching is designed to meet the growing needs of faculty and staff new to online teaching and online course design. The program consists of 4 courses (12 credits) one which is currently offered through the Health Professions Education program and three new course offerings designed to meet the unique needs of those teaching in the online environment. All four courses will be offered entirely online.
Additional Student Benefits: Courses in the online teaching certificate may be applied to the Master of Science in Health Professions Education. Two of the four courses will include an interprofessional component.
Purpose: To ensure faculty and staff who are moving toward online instruction and online course design have the skills needed to be effective so they can avoid common pitfalls associated with online learning such as student isolation and confusion as well as faculty workload.
Online Instruction Certificate Courses
Teaching in the Virtual Classroom
Course Description: Students will debate the benefits and drawbacks to online formats of education, explore the use of course management systems to develop virtual classrooms, practice facilitation skills for effective online teaching, and apply curriculum design strategies to online course development. Students will also discuss the use of the online environment in teaching interprofessional courses.
Online Instructional Design and Technology
Course Description: Students will develop basic skills in the technologies commonly used in online instructional design including HTML, Cascading Style Sheets, PowerPoint with voice over, audio files, video files, and images. Mobile technology, standard formats and quality will also be discussed. Students will learn how to efficiently develop transcripts and captions so instructional media meets ADA compliance guidelines. Design principles such as color, consistency, layout and contrast will be explored.
Building an Online Learning Community
Course Description: Students will examine the unique world of online communication. Topics include the instructor’s role, the learner’s role, and challenges of communication in the online environment. Students will also discuss how learning activities can be constructed to foster communication and collaboration and how feedback can be used to help build student confidence and the relationship with their instructor. Developing an online community that fosters interprofessional collaboration will also be reviewed.
Assessment & Evaluation in Online Education
Course Description: Assessment and evaluation play a major role in determining the quality of learning in an online course. Students will explore various formative and summative assessment techniques and discuss how they can be combined to provide a greater overall representation of student performance. They will also discuss how assessment can be utilized to maximize student potential and identify ‘at-risk’ students for early intervention. Course evaluations will be developed and reviewed to determine their ability to drive course improvement.