The Department of Nutrition offers a Certificate in Nutrition to healthcare professionals and students enrolled in preprofessional healthcare programs. The purpose of the certificate is to provide future healthcare professionals with a background in nutrition that will allow them to discuss nutrition with their patients in relationship to prevention, health promotion and wellness. Upon completion of the Certificate in Nutrition, students will be prepared to apply evidence-based nutrition information to prevent disease and promote health and wellness in their patients. Students will complete four online courses for a total of 12 quarter hours of credit to meet the requirements for the certificate. Students can take the four courses in any order and will have up to two years to complete the certificate.
Admission Eligibility, Requirements and Guidelines:
The following are required for admission into the Certificate in Nutrition:
- Applicants must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a health or science related field from an accredited academic institution.
- The following courses must be recorded on the student's official transcript(s): chemistry, anatomy/physiology and psychology.
- Cumulative minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale during the last two years of college.
For students currently enrolled at Rosalind Franklin University:
- Students must be in good standing.
- Students must complete an online application: the College of Health Professions Application for Concurrent RFUMS enrollment and submit the following to CHP Admissions:
- A personal essay indicating your reasons for pursuing the certificate
- A Dean's letter of support for students in CMS or SCPM or your department Chairperson for CHP, verifying your academic performance will not be jeopardized by the concurrent enrollment.
Requirements for the Certificate
Students will complete the following courses:
- HNUT 510 Modern Nutrition (3 QH)
- HNUT 555 Nutrition in the Lifecycle (3 QH)
And select two of the following courses:
- HNUT 508 Cultural Dimensions of Health (3 QH)
- HNUT 542 Complementary Medicine and Dietary Supplements (3 QH)
- HNUT 576 Nutrition in Human Physical Performance (3 QH)
Nutrition Certificate Completion
- Successful completion of four courses
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) or better
- Successful completion of all certificate requirements within 2 years from the date of enrollment