Skip to Main Content
Sources of Aid

Sources of Aid

There are a variety of sources and types of financial aid available to assist students with their health profession education expenses. These include three basic types of aid: loans, scholarships, and federal work-study. Be sure to check if you are eligible to receive federal student aid.


Loans must be repaid, usually with interest, and over a specified period of time (5-25 years) after graduation. Most loans for graduate/professional school are from federal sources, although collegiate and/or private loans are available to help. 

All loans are subject to final approval by your lender based on criteria set forth by federal regulations and lender policies. The specific details of these programs may change at any time due to government legislation and regulation or lender/institutional policy.

Federal Loans

You must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States to participate in the federal loan programs. 

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

The Unsubsidized Stafford loan is awarded based on the completion of the FAFSA, there is no requirement to demonstrate financial need for this loan. The loan limit is between $20,500 and $47,167 (based on your program). Interest is charged during the in-school period. The interest rate changes on July 1st of each year.

Additional Information about the Unsubsidized Stafford

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

The Direct Graduate PLUS loan is awarded based on the completion of your FAFSA and an annual credit check application through The loan limit is the maximum cost of attendance minus all other financial aid resources. The interest rate changes on July 1st of each year.

For Direct Graduate PLUS loan applications with adverse credit, you will be required by the Department of Education to do additional Direct Graduate PLUS loan counseling. You will be notified by the Department of Education if you need to complete additional Direct Graduate PLUS loan counseling. If required, the loan will not be disbursed until this is complete.

More information about the impact credit has on your financial aid.

Additional Information on the Graduate PLUS loan can be found at:

Federal Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL)

The Federal Health Professions Student Loan program provides long-term, low-interest rate loans to full-time, financially needy students to pursue a degree in a variety of health professions, specifically, those students pursuing degrees in the College of Pharmacy, and Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine. Funds are limited and award amounts vary.

Private Loans

Outside agencies also offer credit-based loans to graduate and professional degree students. Before applying for these loans, be sure you have reviewed all of your federal loan options and eligibility. Federal loans generally have better benefits and lower, fixed interest rates. RFU encourages you to consider the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan before applying for a private loan.

Residency and Relocation Loans

Available to students in their final year of study. These private loans are designed to provide students with additional funds to help offset the expenses associated with travel and relocation costs for interviews, etc. These loans require a credit check and do not require the financial aid office to certify the application, so they do not count toward your student expense budget. Before you utilize one of these programs, please verify that you have exhausted eligibility in other financial aid programs with the financial aid office.

Loan Resources

Interest Rates and Loan Fees

Repayment Plans

FAQs Regarding Credit Checks


Scholarships can help defray the cost of education. Scholarships are aid sources that do not require repayment. Some scholarships are merit-based and some are need-based. Scholarships can be through the admissions process, specific departments, and externally based. Find information on scholarships you can apply for in the database below.

External Scholarships

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for students with financial needs, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Federal Work-Study is money that you earn and will not have to pay back. Since FWS is need-based aid, all students interested in FWS must file a FAFSA each year in order to demonstrate financial need eligibility. All FWS awards will be included as part of the student's financial aid package and will count as a resource toward the overall cost of attendance budget.

Veterans Education Benefits

At RFU we are committed to serving veterans who have served us and our country.  Our staff and faculty are ready to help you, your spouse, or your dependents as you navigate your Veterans Education Benefits while enrolled at RFU. Visit the Eligibility and Applying for Veterans Benefits page to find out more about our offerings and resources.