WHAT'S GOING ON IN THERE?
How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
Charting the brain’s development from conception through the first five years, What’s Going On in There? is a thought-provoking exploration of the questions critical to every prospective parent: How much of a baby’s development is genetically ordained—and how much is determined by environment? Is there anything parents can do to make their babies’ brains work better—to help them become smarter, better-adjusted people? Drawing upon the exploding research in this field as well as the stories of real children, this remarkable book also discusses:
• the evolution of the senses, motor skills, emotions, social awareness,
self-control, language, attention and memory
• which prenatal factors are most important in shaping the developing brain
• why there are critical periods for sensory, language, and emotional development
• how the birthing process itself affects the brain
• how breast milk and other nutritional factors can actually improve children’s
• the importance of bonding and social interaction for all aspects of brain
and mental development
• how stress may affect brain development
Brilliantly blending cutting-edge science with a mother's wisdom and insight, What's Going On in There? is an invaluable contribution to the nature versus nurture debate—and shows parents and caregivers the innumerable ways in which they can actually help their children grow better brains.