Dr. Walia received her Ph.D. in Experimental Medicine and Biotechnology from the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India in 1998. She was appointed as Senior Demonstrator in the Department of Experimental Medicine and Biotechnology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India from 1998-2000. She worked as postdoctoral fellow in the Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago in 2001 and in the Department of Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology at University of Kansas Medical Center from 2002-2005. She joined the Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science in July, 2005 as a Research Assistant Professor.
Our studies focus on arachidonic acid (AA) pathway in Kaposi’s sarcoma associated herpes virus (KSHV) pathogenesis. Our previous studies reported the upregulation of prostaglandin pathway’s major stress angiogenic protein cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and its lipid metabolite prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) in the endothelial cells strictly displaying viral latency and Body-cavity B-cell lymphoma (BCBL) cells carrying multicopy viral genome. Our studies showed that KSHV induced COX-2/PGE2 play important role in KSHV pathogenesis related events like inflammation, invasion, angiogenesis and cell survival. Using a variety of cutting edge technologies, we are currently deciphering the role of prostaglandin pathway in KSHV episome maintenance and chromatin remodeling. Our research also focuses on the identification of the cellular and viral factors involved in the stability of COX-2 and continuous regulated secretion of PGE2 in KSHV positive lymphoma cells.
- Sharma, N., B. Desigan, S. Ghosh, S.N. Sanyal, N.K. Ganguly and S. Majumdar. "The role of oxidised HDL in monocyte/macrophage function in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis," Scandinavian Journal of Clinical Laboratory Investigation,59:215-226, 1999.
- Sharma, N., B. Desigan, S.N. Sanyal, S. Majumdar and N.K. Ganguly. "Effect of antioxidant vitamin E as a protective factor in experimental atherosclerosis in rhesus monkeys," Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism,43:1-10, 1999.
- Grover, V., S. Ghosh, N. Sharma, A. Chakraborti, S. Majumdar and N.K. Ganguly. "Characterization of a galactose specific adhesion of aggregative Escherichia coli," Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 390(1):109-118, 2001.
- Kaushal, S., S. Ghosh, N. Sharma, S.M. Sanyal and S. Majumdar. "Role of phospholipid transfer protein in rabibit lung development," Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, 58(4)2098-2107,2001.
- Chugh, S., N. Sharma- Walia and Y.S. Kanwar. "Nephrotic Syndrome induced heterologous phase proteinuria in aminopeptidase A knock-out mice," Journal of the American Society ofNephrology, 12:674A,2001.
- Wang, F.-Z., S.M. Akula, N. Sharma-Walia, L. Zeng and B. Chandran. "Human herpesvirus envelope glycoprotein gB mediates cell adhesion via its RGD sequence," J. Virology, 77(5):3131-3147,2003.
- Akula, S.M., P.P. Naranatt, N. Sharma-Walia, F.-Z. Wang, B. Fegley and B. Chandran. "Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV/HHV-8) infection of human fibroblast cells occurs through endocytosis,"J. Virology, 77(14):7978-7990,2003.
- Sharma-Walia, N., P.P. Naranatt, H.H. Krishnan, L. Zeng and B. Chandran. "Kaposi's sacoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV/HHV-8) envelope glycoprotein gB induces the integrin dependent focal adhesion kinase-Src-PI-3K-RhoGTPase signal pathways and cytoskeletal rearrangements," J.Virology, 78(8):4207-4223, 2004.
- Sharma-Walia, N., H.H. Krishnan, P.P. Naranatt and B. Chandran. "KSHV/HHV-8 envelope glycoprotein gpK8.1A induced ERK early during infection is essential for the latent and lytic gene expression and for the establishment of latent infection,"J. Virology, 79(16):10308-29, 2005.
- Krishnan, H.H., N. Sharma- Walia, L. Zeng, M.S. Smith and B. Chandran. "Envelope glycoprotein gB of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) is essential for egress from infected cells," J. Virology, 79:10952-10967, 2005.
- Krishnan, H.H., N. Sharma- Walia, D.N. Streblow, P.P. Naranatt and B. Chandran. "Focal Adhesion Kinase (FAK) is Critical for Kaposi's Sarcoma-Associated Herpesvirus (KSHV/HHV-8) Entry into the Target Cells," J. Virology, 80(3):1167-80, 2006.
- Sharma-Walia, N., H. Raghu, S. Sadagopan, S. Ramu, M.V. Veettil, P.P. Naranatt, M.M. Smith and B. Chandran. "Cyclooxygenase 2 Induced by Kaposi's Sarcoma-Associated Herpesvirus Early during In Vitro Infection of Target Cells Plays a Role in the Maintenance of Latent Viral Gene Expression," J. Virology, 80(13):6534-6552, 2006.
- Veettil, M.V., N. Sharma- Walia, S. Sadagopan, H. Raghu, S. Ramu, P.P. Naranatt and B. Chandran. "RhoA-GTPase facilitates entry of Kaposi's Sarcoma-Associated Herpesvirus (KSHV/HHV-8) into the adherent target cells in a Src dependent manner," J. Virology, 80(23):11432-11446, 2006.
- Sadagopan, S., N. Sharma-Walia, M.V. Veettil, H. Raghu, R. Sivakumar and B. Chandran. Kaposi’s Sarcoma-Associated Herpes Virus (KSHV/HHV-8) induces Sustained NF-kB Activation during de novo Infection of Primary Human Dermal Microvascular Endothelial Cells that is Essential for Viral Gene Expression. J. Virology, 81(8):3949-3968, 2007.
- Raghu H., Sharma-Walia N., Valiya M.V., Sadagopan S., Caballero A., Sivakumar R., Varga L., Bottero V., and Chandran B. Lipid rafts of primary endothelial cells are essential for Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV/HHV-8) induced PI3-K and RhoA-GTPases critical for microtubule dynamics and nuclear delivery of viral DNA but dispensable for binding and entry. J. Virology, 81:7941-7959, 2007.
- Sivakumar, R., N. Sharma-Walia, H. Raghu, M.V. Veettil, S. Sadagopan, V. Bottero, L. Varga, R. Levine, and B. Chandran. Kaposi’s Sarcoma-associated herpesvirus induces sustained levels of vascular endothelial growth factors A and C early during in vitro infection of human microvascular dermal endothelial cells: Biological Implications. J. Virology, 82:1759–1776, 2008.
- Veettil, M.V., S. Sadagopan, N. Sharma-Walia, F-Z Wang, H. Raghu, L. Varga, and B. Chandran. Kaposi’s sarcoma associated herpesvirus (KSHV/HHV-8) forms a multi-molecular complex of integrins (αVβ5, αVβ3 and α3β1) and CD98-xCT during infection of human dermal microvascular endothelial (HMVEC-d) cells and CD98-xCT is essential for post-entry stage of infection. J. Virology, 82(24):12126-44, 2008.
- Sadagopan, S., Sharma-Walia, N., Veettil, M.V., Bottero, V., Levine, R., Vart, R. J., and Chandran B. Kaposi's Sarcoma Associated Herpes Virus (KSHV/HHV-8) Upregulates Angiogenin During Infection of Human Dermal Microvascular Endothelial Cells Which Induces 45SrRNA Synthesis, Anti-apoptosis, Cell Proliferation, Migration and Angiogenesis. J.Virology, 83(7):3342-64, 2009.
- Raghu, H., Sharma-Walia, N., Veettil, M.V., Sadagopan, S., and Chandran, B.Kaposi's Sarcoma Associated Herpesvirus Utilizes an Actin Polymerization-Dependant Macropinocytic Pathway To Enter Human Dermal Microvascular Endothelial and Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells. J. Virology, 83(10): 4895-4911, 2009.
- Bottero, V., Sharma-Walia, N., Kerur, N., George-Paul, A., Sadagopan, S., Cannon, M. and Chandran B. Kaposi's Sarcoma-associated herpes virus (KSHV) G protein-coupled receptor (vGPCR) activates the ORF50 lytic switch promoter: A potential positive feedback loop for sustained ORF50 gene expression. Virology, 392(1):34-51, 2009.
- Sharma-Walia, N.,Paul A.G., Bottero, V., Sadagopan, S., Veettil, M.V., Kerur, N., and Chandran B, Kaposi's sarcoma Associated Herpes Virus (KSHV) Induced COX-2: A Key Factor in Latency, Inflammation, Angiogenesis, Cell Survival and Invasion. PloS Pathogens, 6, P. e1000777, 2010.
Faculty of 1000 Biology: evaluations for Sharma-Walia N et al PLoS Pathogens 2010, 6(2):
- Paul, A.G., Sharma-Walia, N., Kerur, N., White, C. and Chandran B. Piracy of PGE2/EP receptor mediated signaling by Kaposi's sarcoma associated herpes virus (KSHV/HHV-8) for latency gene expression: Strategy of a successful pathogen. Cancer Research, 70(9):3697-708, 2010.
- Kerur, N., Veettil M.V.,Sharma-Walia, N., Sadagopan, S., Bottero, V., Paul, A.G., Chandran, B. Characterization of Entry and Infection of Monocytic THP-1 cells by Kaposi's Sarcoma Associated Herpesvirus: Role of Heparan Sulfate, DC-SIGN, Integrins and Signaling. Virology, 406(1):103-16, 2010.
- Sharma-Walia, N., A.G. Paul, K. Patel, K. Chandran, W. Ahmad and Chandran, B. NFAT and CREB regulate Kaposi's sarcoma Associated Herpes Virus (KSHV) Induced Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2). Accepted in J. Virology, 84 (24):12733-12753, 2010.
- Bottero, V., Kerur, N., Sadagopan, S., Patel, K., Sharma-Walia, N. and Chandran, B. TGFβ Activating Kinase 1 (TAK1) phosphorylation and polyubiquitination is necessary for KSHV G protein-coupled receptor (vGPCR) activation of NF-ĸb. J. Virology, 85(5):1980-93. 2011.
- Kerur, N., Veettil, M.V., Sharma-Walia, N., Bottero, V., Sadagopan, S. and Chandran, B. IFI 16 acts as a nuclear danger sensor and induces the inflammasome in response to Kaposi's Sarcoma-Associated Herpes Virus (KSHV) Infection. Cell Host Microbe, 19; 9(5):363-75, 2011.
- Paul, A.G.,Sharma-Walia, N.*, and Chandran, B. “Targeting KSHV/HHV-8 latency with COX-2 selective inhibitor nimesulide: a potential chemotherapeutic modality for primary effusion lymphoma,” PloS One, e24379, 2011.
- Dani, H.M., Sharma-Walia, N.,and Harkirat. "Anticarcinogenicity of flavonoids as studied by inhibition of lipid peroxidation microsomal degranulation and then interaction with Benza(a)pyrene metabolites," Eds. Ong. ASH and Packer, Birkhauser Verlag, Basel, pp. 320-330, 1992.
- Chandran B. and Sharma-Walia, N., KSHV entry and infection of target cells. Chapter 23, 583-609, 2009. In DNA tumor viruses. B. Damania ansd J.M. Pipas (eds) (Springer Sciences Business Media).
- Everly, D.,Sharma-Walia, N., Sadagopan, S. and B. Chandran. Herpesviruses and Cancer (E. Robertson (ed.), Cancer Associated Viruses, Current Cancer Research, Springer Science and Business Media, LLC 2012.